Friday, August 26, 2011

Momentous Event

What a momentous weekend we have ahead.  We will be celebrating my father-in-law’s 90th birthday!  All the “kids” will be in attendance with spouses in tow.  And our daughter and her husband will be there with our grand-daughter. We can not wait to see the look on Ted’s parents’ faces when they meet their great-granddaughter for the first time!  We will, of course, be taking the traditional, multi-generational picture.  4 generations! 

As with most family get-togethers there will be angst leading up to it, and this week we have it in spades.  First the east coast earthquake, and now Hurricane Irene!  We have 2 siblings attending from the hurricane’s path.  We just keep our fingers crossed that we will all be able to attend. 

It’s a difficult thing to get family together these days!  My husband and I have been traveling for years for family events.  Our “community” today is so very different from when I was growing up…and even more so for our parents.  We always want that touch of “home”. 

For me home is a multitude of places.  I live in GA.  I lived in TX.  Yet I still refer to where I grew up and got married in PA as “up home”. I feel “at home” at our property in VA.  While home CAN be a place, it is most CERTAINLY a feeling. It is a feeling that connects you to your past and that points you to your future.  So this weekend “home” will be at my in-laws with my husband’s family. 

We will share memories, discuss world events, laugh, maybe cry a little, embrace the newest family member, remember departed family and enjoy the company and warmth that you can only get from being together.

So do what you will Irene….but we intend to celebrate the patriarch’s birthday with a chocolate cake and a good time, as we keep it……Traditionally Twisted! 

1 comment:

  1. What a handsome fella! I'm sure they'll be delighted to meet their great granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete