Thursday, September 1, 2011

Baptismal Tradition....Twisted!


My Great-Grandmother:
The original owner of the Bowl.

Our family has a baptismal tradition that I am so glad that our daughter will be continuing. 

In genealogy it is most likely the paternal family name that is researched the most.  Following the maternal line, to a lot of folks, is seen as not as important to know.  I must admit it’s a little more difficult, what with the changing of the surname; however it is still your heritage.  I think that is why I am so thrilled with her decision to carry this family tradition forward.

We have a white cut milk-glass bowl that has been used for generations for familial baptisms. In our family it's known as the Baptismal Bowl.  My maternal grandfather was baptized out of this bowl. As was my mother and her brother, myself and my brother, my uncle’s children, my brother’s son, my daughter, my grand-niece and now my grand-daughter will be added to that list. 

So now you may ask, how does this get classified as a maternal line tradition?  The bowl was my great-grandmother's bowl and she started the tradition.  My grandfather being an only-child received the bowl.  He in turn passed it onto his daughter, the first born.  It will be passed to me, the first born daughter, and I, in turn, to my daughter and then her to hers.  So while the surname changes with each generation, the same familial bond is there.

It will be a very special time for us as a family. My daughter’s best friend, who is like family to us, has two daughters and they will be baptized at the same time, out of the same bowl as my grand-daughter.  It will be a very special event that will be made even more special by the fact that it will be officiated by my husband. Every pastor that we talked to refused to baptize our granddaughter unless we belonged to or joined “their” church!  Feeling that was a bit hypocritical, to join only for the baptism, we decided that our walk with God was being compromised.  By proceeding in this manner we feel that we can allow our daughter and her husband to make the choices for their daughter that need to be made and then she can make her choice later when she’s had time to grow into her faith. 

Our hearts will be filled with joy, hope and, most of all, LOVE!  What a precious gift of tradition to pass forward to new generations.

Keep your loved ones near and don’t forget to keep it …… Traditionally Twisted! 

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely tradition to be passed from your maternal lineage - and a very special gift for the future generations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took us awhile to get everyone together, but my husband was finally able to baptize our grand daughter and the 2 daughters of OUR daughter's best friend. It took place March 31 (the day before Palm Sunday). It was a glorious event. We held it by the lake and used the lake water to bless the event.

      Delete